How to install a Thematic Child Theme?

I know that this is an easy task for the most of you, but there are still enough people that are not familiar with Child Themes.

Upload Thematic

Download the Thematic Theme Framework (current release) from wordpress.org or a stable development release from thematic4you.com and extract the zip file. Take the /thematic/ folder and upload it to your /wp-content/themes/ directory through FTP. Make sure that you upload the whole directory structure of the /thematic/ folder including all subdirectories and files.

Upload the Child Theme

The next step is to find a child theme that is designed to be installed over the parent theme you chose. In this case, I’ll be using our new BT Extended child theme for Thematic. Please be aware, that you need the stable development release of Thematic for this child theme.
Similar to the previous step, you extract the /BTExtended_Thematic/ folder and upload it to the /wp-content/themes/ directory via your FTP client. Make sure that you upload the whole directory structure of the /BTExtended_Thematic/ folder including all subdirectories and files.

Activate the Child Theme

Now that you have both the parent theme and child theme uploaded, the final step is to activate the child theme. In your WordPress admin panel, simply navigate to the Appearance -> Themes menu, and select the child theme you selected. You don’t need to activate the parent theme. All that it needs to do is sit in the theme directory.

Credits:

Thanks a lot to Leland for his original post.

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Posted July 4, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Hi Chris, I just came across your site – and I must say : Your Theme looks awesome ! Milo has done a great job w/ the design aspect of it – however , I have always loved the grid structure of the Thematic Theme over any other framework out there . When users ask my opinion on a fast SEO friendly theme ( the first thing they usually throw at me is the Thesis Theme ) ; my response to them is : ” Why not consider the Thematic Theme instead ? its just as fast loading , and SEO optimized as any theme out there & its FREE ! helloooo ??? “ . It amazes me that most users are under the misguided notion that a Theme will make them SEO preferred in googles search engines and will gain them page rank ! So ridiculous . I had downloaded the Thematic framework some months ago , and my initial idea was to begin designing Skins for it . Unfortunately I became so busy w/ other projects – and I didnt have the opportunity to do so , but I am still harbouring the notion and at some point : I will do it ! :D When I do finally produce something worthy , I shall be dropping by again to give you a preview and hopefully get your approval . Thank you for building such a great Theme – as it will always be my favorite above all themes .
    Wishing you much continued future success within all of your life & career endeavors .

Mia 

2. Thompson
    Posted July 20, 2010 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Dude. I just discovered the Thematic framework and have to tell you that you rock!

That is all.

3. Thompson
    Posted August 28, 2010 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Hi Chris,

Can you do a post showing all the current filters for body classes and post classes? Extending on your post here: http://themeshaper.com/forums/topic/how-do-you-use-dynamically-generated-css-classes. I want to clean it up a bit.

I’ve posted in the Themeshaper forums a couple times but couldn’t get a response from any member who knew and guessing at filter names hasn’t worked all that well. ;)

(p.s. It’d be cool to have a body class with the custom post type name– e.g. recipe, video. This seems to exist for post classes already, but not for body classes. Thanks!)

4. Thompson
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 3:52 am | Permalink

I figured it out. I was able to over childtheme_override_body_class, copy over stuff I needed from dynamic-classes.php, and added this code for a video content type. For some reason it showed the custom post type name on the homepage too, where I aggregate all post types, but !is_home() got rid of it there:
    get_post_type() == ‘video’ && !is_home() ? $c[] = ‘video’ : null;

5. Thompson
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Or better yet, this automatically creates a body class for any custom post type. My coding may well be horrible, but I added this within the $c array, at the bottom, like so. See the very last line:
    $c = array();
    {
    // Generic semantic classes for what type of content is displayed
    is_front_page() ? $c[] = ‘home’ : null; // For the front page, if set
    is_home() ? $c[] = ‘blog’ : null; // For the blog posts page, if set
    is_archive() ? $c[] = ‘archive’ : null;
    is_date() ? $c[] = ‘date’ : null;
    is_search() ? $c[] = ‘search’ : null;
    is_paged() ? $c[] = ‘paged’ : null;
    is_attachment() ? $c[] = ‘attachment’ : null;
    is_404() ? $c[] = ‘four04′ : null; // CSS does not allow a digit as first character
    is_page() ? $c[] = ‘page’ : null;
    if (!is_home()) { $c[] = get_post_type() ; } // Adds a custom post type body class
    }

I had to add the extra if statement around it because !is_home() by itself wasn’t working.

6. Posted January 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I have to say that I am a little bit of a noob when it comes to slightly more advanced themes. I read your post, and I went to used BT extended on my newest blog.
    However, I keep getting some odd pop up always saying: “No content exists at page 1! Loading 1st page instead.”
    So I am not sure if this is a BT extented error or the Framework. Also looking at the Thematic Options, I couldn’t figure out what “Index Insert Position” was for. Mine says 2.
    It could simply be me, having missed something, but help or any idea would be greatly appreciated.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] theme, featuring a four column fluid layout, featuring a four column fluid layout, recoded with Chris from Thematic4You.Enabled with flickr support, pagenavi support, custom field options, flash clock, related posts and [...]

2. [...] Blogging Times Extended WordPress Theme theme, featuring a four column fluid layout, recoded with Chris from Thematic4You.Enabled with flickr support, pagenavi support, custom field options, flash clock, related posts and [...]